I definitely made the right choice in coming to Stafford Grammar for the Sixth Form. I felt at home straight away and the support has been brilliant.
Sixth Form Life
Sixth Form is a time for you to pursue your interests and to take lead in your choices within and beyond the classroom – Your future starts here.
At Stafford Grammar School, our philosophy of hard work is balanced with full involvement in a wide range of enriching activities. A-level results matter, but at SGS personality and passion are just as significant.
Stafford Grammar is like one big family and everyone knows each other in all different year groups
Pastoral support underpins all of our success at Stafford Grammar School. The relationships in the Sixth Form are second to none – the sense of belonging and family atmosphere permeates the whole school. We want the very best for you.
Our Sixth Form is led by the Head of Sixth Form, Assistant Head of Sixth Form and a team of specialist tutors. We really do care. Our Sixth Form students feel at home and grow in confidence.
We will guide and support you when you are not sure about the path ahead. Our tutor groups are integrated, meaning that Lower and Upper Sixth students meet and socialise regularly and can share their experiences
Sixth Form students are part of one of the school’s three houses – Anson, Fitzherbert and Talbot – and become members of their House Committee, taking on a range of responsibilities as House Captains, Sports Captains and Form Managers who support and mentor younger students.
The Sixth Form at SGS is like an extended family.
Lower sixth student
The Sixth Form Centre is at the heart of Sixth Form life at SGS. It is home to the Head of Sixth Form and the tutor team, who are always available to support you with any concerns, UCAS applications, subject support or just for a friendly chat.
Our students benefit from a modern Sixth Form Centre, where they meet with their tutors, study and socialise.
The Sixth Form Centre comprises of three main rooms:
- The Green room is the large common room, complete with a kitchen and seating area. There are pool tables and TVs as well as comfortable chairs for relaxation.
- The Amber room is for quiet studying, equipped with an up-to-date careers and UCAS library and computing and printing facilities.
- The Red Room is for silent, individual study
There is a dedicated wifi connection throughout the Sixth Form Centre.
Our students take part in an extensive tutor programme. Each Wednesday afternoon, Sixth Form students are taken off their normal timetable of academic lessons and instead they spend time in the Sixth Form Centre with a carousel of activities and varied programme of guest speakers.
We run sessions on:
- Team building with a trip to Go Ape
- Target setting with individual feedback and support
- Volunteering opportunities through ‘Support Staffordshire’
- Careers advice from former students and guest speakers, with a focus on careers such as Law and Finance
- Mental Health and Wellbeing sessions including mindfulness sessions and North Staffs MIND presentations
- Study skills and exam preparation delivered by external education consultants
- Charities and Giving including the Anthony Nolan Trust, the Blood Service and the Samaritans
- Researching options for Higher Education
- Interview Techniques and Mock Interviews - supported by Bangor University, Loughborough University and more
- Transition to University - delivered by the University of Sheffield and the University of Keele
- Multiple Mini Interview practice for Medical students
- Prevent Training - Department for Education
- Sixth Form Pantomime - written, directed and performed by the Lower Sixth
- Google Digital skills session
- ‘Why choose HE?’ delivered by Loughborough University
- Employability presentation - delivered by Staffordshire University
- Driving Awareness sessions
- Drugs Awareness
- Student Finance - University of Sheffield
- Oxbridge Sessions delivered by the Headmaster and by an external consultant
- Health at University
- Managing Stress
- Studying Abroad
- Money Management delivered by a financial advisor
- Cooking with our Chef - internally delivered session on making simple nutritious meals
- Survival skills - iron that shirt and sew on the button for the interview!
- Basic car maintenance - don’t get stranded before you even get to the interview!
- RAF and Armed Forces - advice sessions
- UCAS convention (both internal and external)
- UCAS help and advice both from tutors and Universities such as Demontfort
- Personal Statement writing and advice sessions
- Support from individual UCAS mentor in school
- Law in Action - University of Law
This is only a sample of the exciting and informative sessions that we run. Our programme is continually developed after feedback from students, whose opinion is so vital.